About this course
The spectrum of hypertensive disorders in pregnancy include chronic hypertension, gestational hypertension, pre-eclampsia and eclampsia. These disorders affect about 10% of pregnant women and is the leading cause of maternal mortality worldwide. Affected women are at an increased risk of cardiovascular complications in later life and long-term follow-up care of these women are necessary. This e-learning module summarizes the different hypertensive disorders during pregnancy, the maternal and foetal risks associated, and the prevention, management, and long-term care of these conditions.
Upon completion of the educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Differentiate between various hypertensive disorders of pregnancy.
- Identify the maternal and foetal risks associated with hypertension in pregnancy.
- Prevent and manage hypertensive disorders during pregnancy.
- Counsel patients regarding the risk of recurrence for future pregnancies and long-term health consequences.
- Cardiovascular physiology of pregnancy
- Risks of hypertension in pregnancy
- Spectrum of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: chronic hypertension, gestational hypertension, pre-eclampsia, eclampsia
- Chronic and gestational hypertension: treatment during pregnancy and the post-partum/breastfeeding period
- Pre-eclampsia: identification of women at risk for pre-eclampsia, diagnosis and treatment
- HELLP syndrome
- Risk of recurrence and long-term health implications of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy
CME Point Available
- This module is accredited for 1 CME Point for medical practitioners enrolled in The Medical Council of Hong Kong’s Continuing Medical Education Programme for Practising Doctors who are not taking CME for Specialists.
- This module is accredited for 0.75 CME Point for fellows of the Hong Kong College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
- This module is accredited for 1 CME Point for fellows of the Hong Kong College of Physicians.
- Please note that this module will not earn CME credit for fellows of colleges not listed here.
- A certificate can be downloaded upon successful completion of the quiz. Please use the information on the certificate to claim your CME points.
Reviewed and endorsed by