About this course
HCC surveillance of at-risk patients leads to early detection of HCC and improves overall survival rate. Currently,
a combination of liver ultrasound and measurement of serum alpha fetoprotein (AFP) is the recommended strategy in
HCC surveillance but the specificity and sensitivity of these modalities in detecting HCC remains suboptimal.
Therefore, a new modality is required to improve the performance of HCC surveillance.
PIVKA-II is a potential screening biomarker for HCC. In this presentation, Professor Henry Chan presents an overview
of the clinical utility of PIVKA-II in HCC surveillance and highlights experts’ recommendation on the use of this
modality in Hong Kong.
Upon completion of this module, participants will be able to:
- Identify risk factors that necessitate hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) surveillance and the importance of early
- Recognise the limitations of current strategies used in HCC surveillance
- Understand the role of protein induced by vitamin K absence-II (PIVKA-II) in HCC diagnosis
- Gain insights into an experts’ consensus on the use of PIVKA-II in the region
- Overview of HCC surveillance
- Limitations of current modalities used for HCC surveillance
- Overview of PIVKA-II
- Experts’ consensus on the clinical utility of PIVKA-II
- Improving sensitivity for detection of HCC with PIVKA-II
- PIVKA-II in HCC with tumour size ≤2 cm, alpha-fetoprotein-negative HCC, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease-HCC, and
alcoholic liver disease-HCC
1 CME Point Available
- This module is accredited for 1 CME Point for medical practitioners enrolled in The Medical Council of Hong
Kong’s Continuing Medical Education Programme for Practising Doctors who are not taking CME for
- This module is accredited for 0.50 CME Point for fellows of the Hong Kong College of Physicians, Hong Kong
College of Emergency Medicine, Hong Kong College of Community Medicine, The College of Surgeons of Hong Kong,
and The Hong Kong College of Pathologists, and Hong Kong College of Radiologists.
- Please note that this module will not earn CME credit for fellows of colleges not listed
- A certificate can be downloaded upon successful completion of the quiz. Please use the information on the certificate to claim your CME points.