About this course
Hypertension plays a role in the progression of CKD, which is also a risk factor for CVD. Understanding the pathophysiology of this complex comorbidity can aid in selecting appropriate therapeutics for this patient group, which is at an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Management involves identifying the ideal blood pressure target and selecting cardioprotective and renoprotective agents. Pharmacological treatment options, including cilnidipine, telmisartan, and chlorthalidone, offer renal and cardiovascular benefits, making them ideal choices for such patients.
Upon completion of this module, you should be able to:
- Understand the intricacies of the cardiovascular risks of comorbid hypertension and CKD, including hypertensive emergencies, nondipping phenotype, and abnormal ventricular structure.
- Summarize the blood pressure targets recommended by various expert societies for different patient groups.
- Elaborate on the recommended pharmacological therapies for patients with hypertension and CKD, as well as patients undergoing hemodialysis and post-kidney transplant.
- Elucidate the renal and cardiovascular benefits of cilnidipine, telmisartan, and chlorthalidone, including their roles in managing patients with hypertension and CKD.
1. Module 1: Hypertension and chronic kidney disease: An understanding of pathophysiology and consequences
- The pathophysiology and consequences of comorbid hypertension and chronic kidney disease (CKD), including the cardiovascular risks in patients with comorbid hypertension and CKD
2. Module 2: Management of hypertension with CKD: Guidelines and beyond
- The need for blood pressure control in patients with CKD and the occurrence of inadequate BP control in this population
- Conflicting evidence on tight blood pressure control and its impact on cardiovascular and renal outcomes
- Pharmacological and non-pharmacological management of hypertension in CKD patients
3. Module 3: Role of cilnidipine, telmisartan and chlorthalidone for patients with HTN and CKD
- The role of cilnidipine, telmisartan, and chlorthalidone for patients with hypertension and CKD
1 CPD Point Available
- Score at least 60% in the multiple-choice quiz.
- A certificate can be downloaded upon successful completion. Please use the information on the certificate to claim your CPD points.
Program Awareness by :