About this course
Diarrhea continues to be one of the most common medical complaints in the world. This e-learning module aims to understand the symptoms of diarrhea (acute vs chronic), discuss the management strategies for acute and chronic diarrhea, and differentiate the two most common types of chronic diarrhea: functional and organic.
Upon completion of the educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Differentiate between acute and chronic diarrhea
- Understand the management of acute diarrhea including the role of diagnostic tests and antibiotic treatment
- Differentiate between organic and functional causes of chronic diarrhea, and refer accordingly for further management
Keywords: symptoms of diarrhea, acute diarrhea, chronic diarrhea
- Definition of acute and chronic diarrhe
- Management goal and strategies of acute diarrhea including the role of diagnostic tests, pharmacologic support, and antibiotic treatment
- Differentiate between organic and functional causes of chronic diarrhea
- Management strategies for functional chronic diarrhea including lifestyle and diet modification, referral to dietitian or psychologist, and use of medications
- When to refer to a gastroenterologist
1 CPD Point Available
A certificate can be downloaded upon successful completion of the quiz. Please use the information on the certificate to claim your CPD points.