About this course
Incretins are a group of gastrointestinal peptides that stimulate insulin release or inhibit glucagon release
with a net effect of lowering blood glucose. The two main incretin hormones are the glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1
and the glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP).
The role of incretins in the pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus type 2 (T2DM) is complex. Over the years,
several incretin-based therapies have been developed. Studies have shown that this group of drugs not only help in
glucose control, but also have positive effects on weight loss, and cardiovascular and microvascular outcomes.
This e-learning module reviews the mechanisms of GLP-1 receptor agonists including the current indications,
benefits, and risks, including updates on recent studies on these drugs.
Upon completion of the educational activity, participants should be able to
- Understand the role of incretin hormones in glucose metabolism and diabetes mellitus
- Review the medications acting on incretin hormones
- Incretin hormones
- Incretin approach to treatment in Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Current indications, patient selection, adverse effects
- Review of clinical trial studies on cardiovascular, mortality, and kidney outcomes
- GLP-1 & GIP agonists and their role in obesity treatment
- Asian perspectives
- In the pipeline: Triagonist GLP-1/GIP/Glucagon receptor agonist
Keywords: type 2 diabetes mellitus, pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus, incretin hormones,
1 CME Point Available
- This module is accredited for 1 CME Point for medical practitioners enrolled in The Medical Council of Hong
Kong’s Continuing Medical Education Programme for Practising Doctors who are not taking CME for
- This module is accredited for both Hong Kong Doctors Union (HKDU) members and non-members.
- This module is accredited for 0.5 CME Point for fellows of the Hong Kong College of Physicians, Hong Kong
College of Emergency Medicine, and Hong Kong College of Community Medicine.
- Please note that this module will not earn CME credit for fellows of colleges not listed here.
- A certificate can be downloaded upon successful completion of the quiz. Please use the information on the
certificate to claim your CME points.
This module is sponsored with the unconditional support of Lilly. Lilly does not have any visibility or control over the campaign content, which is independently created by MIMS Education.