About this course
The Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was first reported in Wuhan, China in December 2019. The virus slowly spread around the world, and a global pandemic was declared by the World Health Organization in March 2020. Vaccine development proceeded at an unprecedented rate, due to enormous financial backing and public interest, and the first commercial vaccine was introduced in November 2020. This e-learning module summarizes the different characteristics of the available COVID-19 vaccines, and the benefits and expected side effects of each vaccine.
Upon completion of the educational activity, health care providers should be able to:
- Understand the history of the COVID-19 pandemic, who are at increased risk of complications, and how the severity of the disease is determined
- Recognize the benefits of vaccination over symptomatic care in COVID-19
- Learn the basic differences between currently available vaccines
- Advise patients on the benefits and expected side effects of available COVID-19 vaccines
- COVID-19: brief history, high risk groups, severity guide
- COVID-19 Vaccines: characteristics of available brands, benefits & side effects, effect on SARS-CoV-2 variants
- Importance of good doctor-patient relationship in discussing and addressing vaccine hesitancy
1 CME Point Available
- This module is accredited for 1 CME Point for medical practitioners enrolled in The Medical Council of Hong Kong’s Continuing Medical Education Programme for Practising Doctors who are not taking CME for Specialists.
- This module is accredited for both Hong Kong Doctors Union (HKDU) members and non-members.
- This module is accredited for 1 CME Point for fellows of the Hong Kong College of Physicians.
- Please note that this module will not earn CME credit for fellows of colleges not listed here.
- A certificate can be downloaded upon successful completion of the quiz. Please use the information on the certificate to claim your CME points.