About this course
Breastfeeding is one of the most effective ways to ensure child health and survival. The WHO and UNICEF
recommend that children should be breastfed within the first hour of birth and be exclusively breastfed for the
first 6 months of life. All pregnant women and lactating mothers need accurate information, encouragement, and
support to succeed in optimal breastfeeding. Hence, every health care provider must acquire the skills in infant
and young child feeding counseling and management.
This e-learning module reviews the benefits of breastfeeding and provides guidance on how midwives can
effectively counsel mothers and provide breastfeeding support.
Upon completion of the educational activity, participants will be able to learn:
- Benefits of breastfeeding to mother and infant;
- The midwifery skills for effective breastfeeding counseling;
- Effective strategies in promoting breastfeeding; and
- The five circles of breastfeeding support and promotion.
- Breastfeeding Counseling
- Context of counseling
- Counseling Skills
- Breastfeeding Promotion
- Five circles of Breastfeeding Support and Promotion
- Establishing a Community Based Breastfeeding Support
Speaker for this course:
Maria Teresa Padilla, RN, RM, MAEd, MAN
President, Association of Philippine Schools of Midwifery
Keywords: breastfeeding support, breastfeeding promotion, breast milk
1 CPD Point Available
A certificate can be downloaded upon successful completion of the quiz. Please use the information on the
certificate to claim your CPD points.
In collaboration with: